Tuesday 29 September 2015

Readers and Passion (what I learnt from Tenby Book Fair) by Juliet Greenwood

This year I finally made it to the Tenby Book Fair, organised by fellow Honno author, Judith Barrow. As it was a first, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but it turned out to be a completely inspiring weekend in many ways, and one that will stay with me for a long time.

Tenby itself was colourful and relaxed, with long beaches and dramatic coastline, while from the window of my B&B I looked right out over Caldey Island. It was such a whirl of a weekend, it was impossible to go and explore very much, apart from wandering through the narrow streets within the medieval walls of the town, so one lesson was to make sure I go back to find out more and do plenty of exploring. I’m planning already!


Evening in Tenby
Overlooking Caldey Island
The Book Fair itself, on the first day of the Tenby Arts Festival, was busy from start to finish. There were around fifteen authors, so it was a delight to catch up with old friends and meet many new. In many ways it felt like an extension of the Novelistas, a chance to exchange ideas and experiences, and to support each other. Authors are wonderfully supportive of each other, and the buzz in the room was energising and inspiring.


With fellow Honno authors:
Hilary Shepherd, Judith Barrow, Thorne Moore (right)
and my wonderful editor, Janet Thomas (centre)

At the same time there was a chance to talk face-to-face with readers, which I also loved. Sometimes, beavering away for months on end on a book and a subject that fills you with passion, you have to ask yourself is this just me? Am I fooling myself? Is this simply a self-indulgence? Is anyone ever going to read this dratted tome that has taken over a year of my life? Especially when bombarded with advice on what the agents and major publishers are looking for, and what sells. So it was a great adrenalin rush, and I wanted to cheer several times that day, as my chats about Eden’s Garden and We That are Left flowed naturally into the suffragists and the suffragettes, and the long struggle for women to have a legal existence, a right to control their own lives, earn money and follow a profession. The subject which happens to be the background to my next novel with Honno Press, and which is out next year.

Talking to the women and men who passed my stall made me fall back in love with the new book all over again. Bashing away at a novel takes so long, it’s easy to lose sight of why you thought it was a good idea in the first place. Talking to readers reminded me of the initial spark for the story, and that I was so cross the long history of the suffrage movement, and the women who fought peacefully for decades to improve the lives of women and children, has (like so much of women’s history) been pushed aside and forgotten, and overshadowed by the final, brief, violence of the suffragettes. Talking to readers helped me regain my energy, and my confidence that yes, it is a subject women find fascinating, and still resonates today.


My stall, set up and ready!
I’m glad I made it to the Tenby Book Fair this year. I discovered a new part of the country, and it fired me up to keep on getting out from behind my desk and meet more readers. So thank you, wonderful readers, for reminding me of the reasons to write from the heart, rather than what I think someone somewhere just might be looking for – and probably isn’t anymore anyhow.

Talking to readers and fellow writers helped restore my confidence in myself, and where I am going. And I’m already looking forward to next year in Tenby – this time proudly holding a new brand new book, hot off the press, in my hands, all ready for plenty more passionate conversations!

Tenby in the morning

12 comments:

  1. A brilliant post, Juliet. It was a fantastic weekend all round, starting with the lovely meal we shared with Janet Thomas and Sharon Tregenza on the Friday. Great that you could join in with the Book Fair; you were wonderful. And I'm so glad you say you'll come again next year. Looking forward to seeing all the interviews with http://www.showboat-tv.com/. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I LOVED the Book Fair, it was a brilliant buzz and I know how hard you worked to get it together and the authors corralled! It's in my diary for next year - along with another lovely meal with you and Janet and Sharon. We had such fun!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds great. I will try to get there next year. Tenby is a lovely place. Lots of great places to visit close by and the beaches are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd discovered Tenby before, Tanya. I agree, it's beautiful. Fellow guest at the B&B raved about the peace of Caldey Island, that's definitely one I'll be exploring. I spent hours walking on the beach in the dawn and dusk, it was very happy and relaxed and it was nice to see so many uproariously, but well-mannered, happy dogs racing along! :-)

      Delete
  3. Great post Juliet! It was lovely to see you & your wonderful books at Tenby. I agree with you about how discussing story content with new people can renew one's interest in the current work. We see the story through fresh eyes. In the case of your subject - the suffrage movement - it must be good to be reminded how essential this story still is.

    I can't wait for next year! I'll be the one with the fixed grin & the stars in her eyes! xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to see you there, Carol! It was great to be surrounded by so many passionate people and seeing so many conversations taking place. Yes, you'll be clutching your book at the next fair. That will be exciting! :-) xx

      Delete
  4. Really captured the atmosphere of the day, Juliet and it was great to meet you for real

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm just sorry I wasn't able to make it before. Lovely to meet you non-virtually! Catch up with you soon. :-) xx

      Delete
  5. Sounds like fun! Glad it was worthwhile for you. I'm hoping to connect with fellow writers when I go to NYC for five months. It helps to spend time around writers (and readers) to keep the flame going.

    BTW, I will ALWAYS read your "dratted tomes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are able to, Nadine. I'm sure you will. It wasn't until I joined the Novelistas that I realised just how important it is for writers to be able to talk shop! Enjoy NYC, I'm still hoping to make it over one day - and meet lots of American writers :-) And thank you for reading the dratted tomes. I think I've just fallen back in love with the one out next year. Until the copy edits appear ... ;-) xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely post. Sounds like you had an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! It was great. I can't wait for next year! Tenby is definitely a lovely place to be.

      Delete

We love to hear from you, so don't be shy . . .